- Our Story
- Our Produce
- You and City Harvest
- Contact Us
Volunteering with City Harvest provides people in our community with a valuable experience like few others in the city. Our volunteers start working with us for many reasons: some are curious about how to grow food, some miss their gardening days now that they live in a condo, some need community service hours for graduation requirements and some are motivated by a deep conviction about supporting food security. Many come just for the fresh air and exercise, and others are looking for ways to meet like-minded people.
Come once in a while, join a one-time work party, or make us a regular part of your week.
There is plenty of hands-on learning on the farm and because we work in small backyards, it is easy to teach while we work.
Each month there is something new to do, observe and learn, including:
- compost building and management
- planting in the greenhouse
- small building projects
- installing drip irrigation
- preparing planting beds
- planting, weeding and thinning
- harvesting, preparing CSA boxes, and tending the market table.
Most of the work we do requires a good level of fitness and the ability to do lots of bending up and down.
You will need to bring:
- your own lunch/snacks
- water bottle
- work gloves
- good footwear for working in the dirt
- appropriate weather protection.
We’ll provide the tools (unless you have a favourite tool, which you’re welcome to bring along)
We travel from yard to yard, so we will arrange to meet you at our base farm and go from there in our farm car.
Are you up for the work? Send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll contact you about work parties or partnering up with one of our members. Please include in your email the following:
1. Your name and contact information (we like using the phone as well as email!).
2. A bit about your experience and why you want to volunteer with us.
3. The jobs you would like to do with us in order of preference.
4. Your availability (regular time during the week or on weekends, work parties during the week or on weekends.)
5. If you have children and would like to bring them, let us know so we can plan accordingly.
We look forward to meeting you!